I’ve seen self-care guide after self-care guide with tons of awesome tips – the issue is that so many of these tips aren’t that practical for the busy folk. Ain’t nobody got time to “look through a photo album and admire what you have done with your life.” Or make a green smoothie. Or do a full yoga session. With that said, here are a few of my favorite ways I like to take care of myself that can be done almost anywhere and anytime. I hope they help you!
1. Drink more water. Yep, you’ll have to pee all the time. I wish there was a way to get around that aspect of drinking enough water, but we just gotta get used to it. Drinking water is crucial for your body and your own well-being, so keep a water bottle filled up with you every day! I mentioned these bottles on my post for summer must-haves, and I think they’re great!
2. SLEEP. Just go to bed. Take naps. Rest. Life gets draining and lack of sleep will make it worse by affecting your mood, memory, energy, reaction time, and much more. No bueno! Getting around 8 hours of sleep or more is crucial for your health and for feeling good in general. Try to set a reasonable bedtime and wake-up time each day and stick to it – on the weekends or when you don’t have to wake up early for work, school, etc, still try to wake up around the same time to help your body’s clock work efficiently!
3. Talk to someone. At least once a day, call a family member, chat with a friend, visit a therapist, or just have a conversation with someone you love. Isn’t it great to just talk out how you feel, talk about each other’s day, and just get it all out? It feels awesome! Talking and relaxing with someone you’re comfortable around is beneficial to even the most introverted person. Keeping it all inside will build up sooner or later, and you want to avoid that as much as possible.
4. Cross something off your to-do list. Need to clean your kitchen? Take your pet to the vet? Put your car in the shop? Take Shia LaBeouf’s advice and JUST DO IT. When all you’re doing is adding to your to-do list, and never crossing things off, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. At least once a day, cross one thing off of that list. It will help you feel (and be) productive and you’ll be surprised how much better off you are!
5. Limit your screen time. I know, it’s basically impossible these days. We’re so glued to our phones and surrounded by screens all day, whether or not we want to be. You’re constantly force-fed story after story, thought after thought, and it can get overwhelming. So you have two ways of going about limiting your screen time: either schedule time out of your day to be 100% screen-free, OR schedule time out of your day specifically for screen time (if you are fine with going screenless the rest of the day). Whichever way you go about it, getting unplugged and finding enjoyment in the little things can help you feel so much better!
6. Take a walk. Preferably outside. Doesn’t even have to be a long one. Even the walk to the mailbox can qualify. Practicing mindfulness while you do it also helps you disconnect for a moment and feel like you’re taking a real break: feel your feet hit the ground as you walk. Listen to your breath. Feel the sun on your skin. Not only are you getting exercise, but you’re also giving yourself a mental break during your day!
7. Set aside at least 30 minutes for yourself. Spend this time doing a devotional/praying, meditating, napping, reading, listening to music, journaling, whatever you fancy. Setting aside any amount of time daily for yourself can help you look forward to something on your hard days or make your good days even better.
8. Eat your favorite healthy snack. I say “healthy” because if it’s something that is bad for you, you may feel worse afterward. For example, I am a sucker for french fries, but I always feel terrible after eating them! Go for something like your favorite fruit or veggie at least a few times during your day and you’ll feel so much better than if you had reached for a less healthy choice!
9. Stretch. Now again, I’m not saying you have to do an entire yoga session to get this step done during your day! Only a simple stretch in the middle of your day can make you feel brand new. Do a few side stretches, bend all the way over and try to touch your toes, stretch your arms to the sky, and watch your breathing to help you feel calm and relaxed.
10. Reflect on your day. Unless you really sit down and think about every aspect of your day, you’ll never truly know how your day actually went. Oftentimes, we can think a day was bad, but when we go back and think about all that happened that day, literally only one tiny part of the day was bad while the rest was good. Do yourself a service and think about your day, analyzing the good and the bad! You’ll definitely see a change in your perspective!
What are some self-care steps that you take that may help someone else? Share in the comments!