Natural beauty is getting more and more attention in the cosmetic world. It’s awesome that more people are taking steps to make sure that they are using products that are safe and sometimes even beneficial for us – being mindful about what we put on and in our body is so important!
However, the beauty industry in the United States is incredibly unregulated, meaning that brands can plaster the word “natural” all over their packaging without containing a single ingredient that fits that description, and the only way there can be legal repercussions for it is if you can prove that a certain ingredient caused harm to your health which is very difficult to do. Though it’s disappointing, you simply cannot trust the claims made on the package unless you know how to read the ingredients labels!
So which ingredients should we be looking out for when reading labels? There are quite a few (you can type in any ingredient name into the search bar on EWG’s Skin Deep Cosmetics Database here to see if it poses any health risk), but the most prominent ingredients include parabens, phthalates, and formaldehyde.
These ingredients are synthetic chemicals that pose a higher health risk and are linked to many health issues like cancer, impaired fetal development, and kidney, brain, and liver abnormalities. It’s really hard to believe that cosmetic companies could include these ingredients in products we apply directly to our skin to absorb into our bloodstreams, but it’s something that many, many brands do – even ones that claim they are all-natural.
There are very few companies that actually have 100% natural, non-synthetic ingredients because it gets tricky when formulating a product that will last, either on your face or in its packaging.
With that said, not all of these products are 100% natural, but all of them are free of ingredients with a high health risk, making them safe to use.
So if you love makeup but are looking into more natural, safe products, here’s a full routine of products to try out this fall!
FYI, each numbered product in the photos corresponds with the list below it! Just so you know what it is to look for when you want to try them 🙂
1. Primer: LUSH Magical Moringa Facial Moisturizer
2. Foundation: Josie Maran Vibrancy Argan Oil Foundation Fluid
3. Concealer: W3LL PEOPLE Bio Correct Multi-Action Concealer
4. Setting Powder: RMS Beauty “Un” Powder
6. Bronzer/Contour: BeautyCounter Color Contour Matte Bronzer
7. Highlighter: Ilia Beauty Illuminator
8. Setting Spray: Olivia Care Rose Water Face Mist
1. Eyeshadow: NVEY Eco Eyeshadow Palette
2. Brow Pencil: Maybelline Define-A-Brow Eyebrow Pencil
3. Eyeliner: Dr. Hauschka Liquid Eyeliner
1. Lipstick: Bite Beauty Matte Crème Lip Crayon
2. Liquid Lipstick: Cate McNabb Longwearing Liquid Lipstick
Are there any natural products you use that you want to share? Have you tried any of the above products already, and if so, how did you like them? Let me know in the comments!